Thursday, August 27, 2009

Damn that smells good!

Let me tell you. Vienna is no place to diet. At every turn there are sausages (cheese wieners, spicy wieners, big and small wieners) and all types of pastries. It's maddening. People walk around with bread in their hands, no napkin, no bag -- just eating. My husband has taken a liking to the sausages and I think he's probably tried every kind already! He just goes up to the stall and points. Two minutes later his lips are wrapped around a foot-and-a-half long sausage stuffed in a bun that looks like a half a loaf of French bread. I'm going to have to keep him from the strudel or before you know it, he'll be addicted!

Austrians also have some strange eating habits. Like ... they are generally not fond of spicy food, so to get something hot, you need to say, "I want it spicy, like Turkish" because apparently the Turks like to eat really spicy things. Also, most Austrians are not fond of mixing their meat with their seafood. For example, if you order combination stir fry there would be no shrimp or anything in it because Austrians don't seem to like that. But they do like pork - and LOTS of it. I have never seen so much pork in my life. They seem to have ever kind of pork dish. Oh, but they don't have pork rinds as far as I can see. I did find them at the ethnic food store, though. You know I can find pork rinds anywhere! (laugh)

Alison
27 August 2009
10:54 a.m.

p.s. Check out the photos below

No comments:

Post a Comment