Thursday, September 10, 2009

Ah ha!


Now I know what the woman at the cash register at the grocery store was trying to ask me! She wanted to know if I had a Billa card! Basically a discount card for the grocery store. I went into the store during lunch today and the woman checking me out figured out pretty quickly that I couldn't speak enough German to really talk to her, so she asked me in English, "Do you have a Billa card?" Ahhh. And the light bulb went off. Cool.

What some people eat for lunch here you Americans might find very odd, not to mention paltry. It's like fancy picnic food (and I'm not talking Paula Dean picnic food!) or homemade antipasto is even a better way to describe it. First they pull out the sesame or multigrain bagel and then lay slices of cheese across the bread. Then they cut up a handful of yellow bell peppers or toss some arugula (aka rucola) or maybe a thin slice or two or proscuitto on the side and that's it. I saw one of our interns in the office kitchen yesterday making this same kind of combo on a plate the size of both my hands together (thumbs pressed to the side of the forefinger). I asked if she wanted to use the microwave so she could melt her cheese on the bread. You should have seen the look! But she was polite, "You know," she said, "that's a good idea. I was kind of thinking about that, but maybe it would make the bread not so fresh."

Duh. Righhhttt. And the cheese was probably something special, too.

Meanwhile, me and the Canadian are laddling up gobs of jambalaya or microwaving bowls of chili with a hefty salad on the side or carting Burger King through the door (well, that's more me than the Canadian. But, hey, I only did it once! Good grief!).

Of course, all of this could very well just be the people in my office because you can hear all the way up on the second floor the silverware scraping the plates at the cafe below and the smell of bacon and sausages fills the air beginning at 11 a.m. ...

In other news, Nicholai has another baseball tournament this weekend. I don't understand why he can't go to church on Sunday and THEN the game. (humph) I'm convinced it's an anti-Baptist plot (remember: My husband is Catholic).

Alison
Friday, 11 September, 12:08 a.m.

I should be in bed! ASLEEP!

No comments:

Post a Comment