Sunday, September 6, 2009

Why Wien?

A number of people have asked, and probably many more have wondered, why I decided to move to Vienna. To me, the answer is as obvious as the nose on my face.

After returning from my fellowship in Africa, I was faced with looking for a job in an industry that was reeling from layoffs and newspaper closures, so I knew it would be an uphill battle finding a media job in the States and, frankly, I wasn't sure I wanted to be back in a newsroom where morale was low and people were stretched thin trying to do five different jobs. And finding a well enough paying job in the media again in The Bahamas, particularly as a foreigner, would prove next to impossible. Anyway, I'd been there and done that!

So, I reevaluated my career objectives and cast a broad international net when looking for a job. I knew that I wanted something closely related to the field of journalism or to work for a company/agency/media outlet that could make good use of my 25+ years in the media industry and whose mission or products actually meant something to me.

My fiance at the time (now husband) and I had hoped to return to Ghana to live and work for a couple of years. The plan was for me to teach at a local college there while continuing my position as Managing Editor of Canoe Quarterly magazine. I was excited about working with the magazine and about AUCC. But in the end, AUCC didn't come through with the position, even part-time. So, I had to look elsewhere.

After about six weeks of moving back to The Bahamas from Africa, the International Press Institute came along. I liked the idea of working for the organization right away. After some telephone conversations, one of which was held in my friend's hotel room two days before my wedding, IPI's director offered me the position of deputy director.

Moving to Vienna meant a few things, the ability to add even more value to my resume in the working abroad category, the opportunity to do more work on the business side of an organization, working with a non-profit and, most importantly, to in many ways continue the work I'd started as a fellow in Africa in terms of helping train journalists from under-developed countries and to help fight for press freedom.

Down the road, I'll be able to establish a solid global media consultancy agency, and that's good because I can do that from anywhere -- even The Bahamas.

Personally what I gain is obvious: The chance to travel around eastern Europe as well as Africa and the Middle East and to be able to do it with my new partner. And of course there is the affordable health care and social security for me and my husband and the great quality of life.

Plus, I'm working hard, learning a lot and having fun!

Alison
Sunday, 12:50 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment