Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sturm


Fall in Vienna is not only ushered in by cool breezes and an end to many of the summer markets and festivals, but it is also the time of year when sturm is introduced. Sturm is fermenting grape juice taken from the first grape harvest. It is on sale in Vienna for only a few weeks in the fall because it has to be consumed quickly since it is still fermenting. It comes in white or red and costs anywhere from 1 euro to 1,40 euros a glass. And, as every local will warn you, it is strong (because of the high sugar content). As my husband will tell you, "It ain't strong." Ha. Okay, Big Daddy.

Nicholai has taken a huge liking to the sweet, slightly fermented red "wine." The other day, he had like five glasses! He stood and his eyes were glazed over. I lmao.

"It'd be good if you could pick up a bottle of sturm," he tells me when I ask him if he needs anything from the grocery. (Silently I laugh.) No problem. At least it's a soft introduction to wine for my beer-drinking husband, who also marvels at what he describes as the wonderful taste of (Chinese) plum wine. Who knows. Maybe in a months time I can move him on to real wine. Now THAT would be amazing!

alison
Sunday, 11:05 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment